Updated: D&AD Student Awards 2012 Yellow Pencils announced across design, illustration, digital & self-promotion
The exception is the Make Your Mark category, which is open to any creative under 26 and challenged entrants to come up with innovative ways to promote themselves.
Winners here were Joy Ayles (above) from the University of Salford, who set up a site offering herself as an online-based intern to agencies, and Kyle Jacobson and Chad Goddard (below l-r), who sent 50 individually engraved pencils to TBWA in a box marked Constructive Procrastination.
Kyle Jacobson and Chad Goddard
The 29 Yellow Pencil winners included three students from Sweden's Beckmans School of Design – Elin Mejergren, Josefin Janson, and Nicole Kärnell – in the graphic design category, who created a series of print supplement accompanying talks by designers including Anthony Burrill and Stefan Sagmeister at The Typographic Circle. The brief was set by Pentagram.
The illustration brief was to create a cover for film magazine Little White Lies, and two students picked up awards here: Francesca Hotchin and Rupert Smissen.
Five Pencils were given in the Digital Design category to Justin Lim, Kenneth Au-Yeung, Sarah Fung, Stanley Lai and Yu-Chuan (Felix) Lai of Simon Fraser University in Vancouver, where Microsoft asked entrants to create a multi-screen experience.
Other categories with Pencil winners included Advertising, Photography and Moving Image. There were no winners in Typography.
- ·Fonts Design of Childhood Memory
- ·How to sell your typefaces
- ·47 free tattoo fonts for your body art
- ·New York New York, Jazz St. Louis
- ·Barbe à papa Cotton Candy
- ·Bevésett nevek (Carved Names), vol. 2
- ·Ad for Hello Dummy! by Don Rickles
- ·Make market-ready fonts with this 8 point checklist
- ·XUID Arrays: One Less Thing To Worry About
- ·"Die Alpen – Vielfalt in Europa" stamp