Looking For Images Of Letterpress Script Faces
I will be speaking at TYPO Berlin "Sustain" next week and am currently hard at work on my entirely new presentation From Metal Scripts to Digital Writing. I trace back the reproduction of handwriting from the earliest scripts for letterpress to feature-rich OpenType fonts with artificial intelligence that mimic the decisions made by letterers and calligraphers. While I have most of my material down I feel like I could use some close-ups of letterpress type, illustrating the specific difficulties inherent to producing slanted glyphs on a rectangular body. I am particularly interested in overhangs and kerns, connections, type on a non-rectangular body, and so on. As I am touching on a wide variety of script styles I will gradually add to this post which images I have received, and which ones I think I still need.
Here's a number of examples of what I a looking for. However I would like to also have some extreme close-ups of overhangs and kerns.
24pt Civilité with 6pt floating accent (Stempel) cut in by hand. Photo © Justin Knopp
72pt Reiner Script capitals with overhang. Detail from photo © Interrobang Letterpress
24pt Berthold Boulevard with fractions. Photo © Interrobang Letterpress
:: UPDATE ::
Thomas Gravemaker sent me images of English-style copperplate scripts; a series on rectangular body and a series on slanted body.
Stéphane De Schrevel sent me these superb combos, showing both the type and the back side of the body, of two English-style copperplate scripts – one on rectangular and one on slanted body – and one wood type script on slanted body.
Sander Pinkse sent me these images of letterpress Mistral.
Header image:30pt unidentified English copperplate script. Photo © Humberto Aste
Joph Broadcast Graphics
- ·Antropofagia. Palimpsesto Selvagem
- ·Iconic Transport for London logo undergoes subtle redesign
- ·Königsblut identity
- ·20 Houses. A New Residential Landscape exhibition, Wallpaper* Architects Directory
- ·Moving Hands (Helena Hauff Remix) by The Klinik, official video
- ·Fonts Design of Childhood Memory
- ·Alphabet Stories by Hermann Zapf
- ·Surabaya Beat by Beat Presser, Afterhours Books
- ·Troubadour poster, Opera Plovdiv
- ·Hollywood Star Matt Damon Wrote Better Chinese than Chinese Stars