Letterpress design revived for St Brides conference
The messy, slow and painstaking manual process of letterpress printing dropped out of the mainstream 30 years ago, but is currently enjoying a small-scale revival as a craft; a conference next month at St Bride Library, a graphic design and typography centre, turns its gaze to the trend.
The one-day conference, titled Letterpress: A Celebration, explores the recent growth in letterpress techniques within commercial work, decades after it stopped being the main printing technique. The speakers ask why designers and other creatives would choose to use such a cumbersome and unwieldy piece of equipment, particularly when it imposes considerable restraints on artwork, colour, layout and type – particularly in an age where desktop publishing and printing makes the whole process considerably easier.
A number of devotees of the letterpress explain why the technique appeals to them in this day and age, and display their work in this day of talks, demonstrations and displays. Speakers include:
* Phil Abel – Hand & Eye Letterpress
* Claire Bolton – The Alembic Press
* Alex Cooper & Rose Gridneff – London College of Communication
* Alan Kitching & Celia Stothard – The Typography Workshop
* Alan May – Press builder
* Harry McIntosh – Compositor and typecaster
* John Randle – Whittington Press
* Patrick Walker – dust
The conference takes place on Friday, November 7. Click here for bookings and more information.
- ·Cher Got Sued For Font!
- ·Jim Nutt: Coming Into Character at Museum of Contemporary Art Chicago
- ·"David Bowie is turning us all into voyeurs" button
- ·How House Industries Designs Its Retrotastic Logos and Typefaces
- ·How to Read a Painting by Patrick de Rynck
- ·Cocoa Marsh Instant Fudge Candy Mix packaging
- ·Antropofagia. Palimpsesto Selvagem
- ·Alibaba Supports Font Infringement Complaints
- ·Brother Moto Flat-Trackin' Tee
- ·Alphabet Stories by Hermann Zapf
游客's review on Article 免费商用中文字体有哪些？注意下，新蒂字体已不能商用。
游客's review on Article 超强视觉冲击-3D字体设计作品超强视觉冲击
游客's review on Article 20个出色的艺术字体设计作品欣赏优秀作品展
游客's review on Article 全球第一家手书数字化平台-在线书写毛笔字生成TTF字体给你全世界智慧
馬塞客's review on Article 字体疑问？1.可能是版权问题故意的。（体验版） 2、可能是字库制作时疏忽bug。
游客's review on Article 自己动手用FontCreator修改字体简单教程因为这是日本的字体，所以缺字很正常，字型的编排也是按照日本教育部标准做的。