United States Science Exhibit
Source: http://en.wikipedia.org.US Department of Commerce. License: All Rights Reserved.
This has long been one of my favorite pieces of Seattle ephemera. Even after some extensive World's Fair research I did earlier this year, this page stands out as one of the best pieces of design from that event. The irregular shaped blue boxes and off-center type seem suprisingly organic for a science exhibit so focused on the future and technology. The reference to the Science Center's facade is a nice touch at the bottom.
The use of Profil doesn't seem particularly inspired but it works well here. Despite the fact that two lines of the title are justified and the four words stack atop each other, it's readable and holds the page just fine. As shown in other Profil samples on this site, the typeface works well with ample letter-spacing. As an extra bold display face, it can be stylish or serious, stylishly serious, or seriously stylish.
United States Science Exhibit Guide, United States Department Of Commerce. Seattle World's Fair, 1962. Page 1.
Joph Broadcast Graphics
- ·"David Bowie is turning us all into voyeurs" button
- ·"Die Alpen – Vielfalt in Europa" stamp
- ·Chinese College Student Invents Smog Font
- ·The Future of Sex poster
- ·Fonts Design of Childhood Memory
- ·47 free tattoo fonts for your body art
- ·"Fantastic!" ad for Captain Fantastic & the Brown Dirt Cowboy by Elton John & Bernie Taupin
- ·Amazon Releases Ember Bold Font for the Kindle
- ·He Invented a Font to Help People With Dyslexia Read
- ·Alibaba Supports Font Infringement Complaints