United States Science Exhibit
Source: http://en.wikipedia.org.US Department of Commerce. License: All Rights Reserved.
This has long been one of my favorite pieces of Seattle ephemera. Even after some extensive World's Fair research I did earlier this year, this page stands out as one of the best pieces of design from that event. The irregular shaped blue boxes and off-center type seem suprisingly organic for a science exhibit so focused on the future and technology. The reference to the Science Center's facade is a nice touch at the bottom.
The use of Profil doesn't seem particularly inspired but it works well here. Despite the fact that two lines of the title are justified and the four words stack atop each other, it's readable and holds the page just fine. As shown in other Profil samples on this site, the typeface works well with ample letter-spacing. As an extra bold display face, it can be stylish or serious, stylishly serious, or seriously stylish.
United States Science Exhibit Guide, United States Department Of Commerce. Seattle World's Fair, 1962. Page 1.
- ·Amazon Releases Ember Bold Font for the Kindle
- ·Japanese Typography Writing System
- ·"Die Alpen – Vielfalt in Europa" stamp
- ·Iconic Transport for London logo undergoes subtle redesign
- ·The Future of Sex poster
- ·Food Not Bombs hypothetical redesign
- ·Jim Nutt: Coming Into Character at Museum of Contemporary Art Chicago
- ·MC5 – Back in the USA album cover
- ·London Underground's iconic Johnston Sans typeface
- ·Why Apple Abandoned the World's Most Beloved Typeface?