Adobe-Japan1-6 Radical/Stroke Database
I spent approximately two weeks in August of 2004 developing a radical/stroke database for the 14,664 kanji in Adobe-Japan1-6 (CIDs 656, 1125–7477, 7633–7886, 7961–8004, 8266, 8267, 8284, 8285, 8359–8717, 13320–15443, 16779–20316, and 21071–23057), which is available as a tab-delimited text file that is keyed by Adobe-Japan1-6 CIDs, and as a PDF file that is keyed by indexing radical, then by the number of strokes of the indexing radical instance, followed by the number of remaining strokes, and finally by Adobe-Japan1-6 CID.
For each Adobe-Japan1-6 kanji, there is at least one radical/stroke record, which consists of the following three comma-separated fields: the indexing radical (1–214), the number of strokes of the indexing radical instance, and the number of remaining strokes. Of course, the total number of strokes can be calculated by simply adding the second and third field.
The excerpt below, taken from the PDF file, illustrates two features of this radical/stroke database:
First, it demonstrates the importance and usefulness of recording the number of strokes for the indexing radical instance. Radical #162, for example, can consist of three (辶), four (辶), or even seven (辵) strokes, depending on the glyph.
Second, it shows that some glyphs have additional radical/stroke records, which are shown under the Adobe-Japan1-6 CID. In the tab-delimited text file, multiple radical/stroke records are separated by a semicolon. 2,429 of the 14,664 kanji have two radical/stroke records, and 21 of them have three records.
Enjoy! I hope that others find these to be useful resources when working with Adobe-Japan1-6 kanji.
Joph Broadcast Graphics
- ·Fonts Design of Childhood Memory
- ·Statement and Counter-Statement, Automatically Arranged Alphabets, and Arts/Rats/Star
- ·Amazon Releases Ember Bold Font for the Kindle
- ·Iconic Transport for London logo undergoes subtle redesign
- ·Surabaya Beat by Beat Presser, Afterhours Books
- ·10 Top Romantic Fonts on Valentine's Day!
- ·Type terms: the animated typographic cheat sheet
- ·47 free tattoo fonts for your body art
- ·Cher Got Sued For Font!
- ·Barbe à papa Cotton Candy