Type Is Art / Parts of a Character
Parts Of A Character is a typography project that originated as an educational print, aimed at typography students, created by artist and designer Susanne Cerha of Silo Design, Inc. The print in turn inspired José Rodriguez of JRVisuals to create the public interactive project Type Is Art.
On the website visitors are invited to create their own visuals, using the 20 basic typographic shapes that make up the characters of the Latin alphabet. Those character fragments (from Adobe Caslon) become abstract elements, removed from their communicative capacity. They can be freely scaled, rotated and arranged to form new and surprising compositions. There is an educational aspect to the website as well, as the different parts of the characters are named and explained at the bottom.
The visuals can be saved to a gallery. As creations trickle in to Type Is Art the most original, funny, lewd, obscure, poetic and majestic designs are featured on the Parts Of A Character products. Those can be purchased via the Parts Of A Character web shop.
Joph Broadcast Graphics
- ·Make market-ready fonts with this 8 point checklist
- ·Jim Nutt: Coming Into Character at Museum of Contemporary Art Chicago
- ·The Form Book by Borries Schwesinger
- ·Cocoa Marsh Instant Fudge Candy Mix packaging
- ·Chinese College Student Invents Smog Font
- ·Amazon Releases Ember Bold Font for the Kindle
- ·47 free tattoo fonts for your body art
- ·Königsblut identity
- ·Japanese Typography Writing System
- ·Alphabet Stories by Hermann Zapf