Letterpress: A Celebration
On Friday 7 November 2008, my previous post – "Letterpress is again to be celebrated, or so the growing popularity of the process would certainly suggest. Increasing numbers around the world are setting up their own small studios, looking for tuition, or commissioning letterpress within commercial design work. All this thirty years after the process effectively became commercially obsolete. And in spite of the fact that letterpress can be messy and slow, often requires a lot of space, not to mention the considerable constraints it brings to layout, colour, artwork and type. So why do so many people still want to get involved, and how do they make a success of their efforts?"
The conference will allow you to review and discuss the phenomenon of letterpress in the twenty-first century through a packed one-day programme of talks, demonstrations and displays of work. You'll be able to meet practitioners and exchange stories as the different communities working with letterpress, from printers and designers to students and general enthusiasts are brought together. Be inspired and maybe even find out what you need to set up on your own!
Phil Abel – Hand & Eye LetterpressClaire Bolton – The Alembic PressAlex Cooper & Rose Gridneff – London College of CommunicationAlan Kitching & Celia Stothard – The Typography WorkshopAlan May – Press builderHarry McIntosh – Compositor and typecasterJohn Randle – Whittington PressPatrick Walker – dust
Full rate: £60 / £50 Friends of St Bride LibraryStudents, over 60s: £30 / £25 Friends of St Bride Library
header imageSmall letterpress shop in Pt. Reyes Station, California, August 2003.
© J. Lurie-Terrell
- ·20 Houses. A New Residential Landscape exhibition, Wallpaper* Architects Directory
- ·Once Upon DESIGN: New Routes for Arabian Heritage
- ·Antropofagia. Palimpsesto Selvagem
- ·Linotype Ad: "Linotype vs. Intertype"
- ·The Great Comic Book Heroes, by Jules Feiffer
- ·New York New York, Jazz St. Louis
- ·Surabaya Beat by Beat Presser, Afterhours Books
- ·47 free tattoo fonts for your body art
- ·Cocoa Marsh Instant Fudge Candy Mix packaging
- ·The Form Book by Borries Schwesinger