I experienced a range of emotions when I came across the first issues of Bloomberg Businessweek's redesign in early 2010: admiration, envy, and even a little anger. How dare creative director Richard Turley reinvent the venerable publication in such a Euro-perfect way, usingHelveticano less? And how gloriously Swiss (by way of London) it is: tight-but-not touching heads, buttery-smooth sidebar text, with the entire design informed (but not bound) by grids and rules.
Except that it turns out that the type I was admiring wasn't really Helvetica, but a new digital version of its original incarnation,Neue Haas Grotesk. Type designer Christian Schwartz describes the project as a restoration, "bringing [Helvetica designer Max] Miedinger's original Neue Haas Grotesk back to life with as much fidelity to his original shapes and spacing as possible." The redrawn shapes, impeccable spacing, and revival of an alternate straight-legged 'R' position Neue Haas Grotesk as a contemporary sans serif, without a whiff of the nostalgia and irony that can saddle Helvetica.
Oh, and did I mention that the magazine's covers are consistently inventive and smart? It looks like the arrival of the latest issue of Bloomberg Businessweek will continue to be an emotional event.
- ·He Invented a Font to Help People With Dyslexia Read
- ·XUID Arrays: One Less Thing To Worry About
- ·Linotype Ad: "Linotype vs. Intertype"
- ·Bevésett nevek (Carved Names), vol. 2
- ·How to Read a Painting by Patrick de Rynck
- ·Antropofagia. Palimpsesto Selvagem
- ·Iconic Transport for London logo undergoes subtle redesign
- ·Food Not Bombs hypothetical redesign
- ·Ad for Hello Dummy! by Don Rickles
- ·"Die Alpen – Vielfalt in Europa" stamp
游客's review on Article Billboard.com这个Billboard.com网站的字体是啥字体
lwhzyn's review on Article HZ-GB-2312系统好像缺少字库，看看能不能下载
游客's review on Article 2017年设计师绝对不能错过的手写字体搭配的挺好看，这些字体是免费商用的么
¤月映丹心∴'s review on Article 毛笔字体进化论怎么下载法？
糖果's review on Article 25个能让设计师用一辈子的字体免费用吗
游客's review on Article 三星发布自主字体SamsungOne：全平台通用哪里可以下载三星字体