Gestalten.tv Interviews Ken Barber
Yesterday a short but sweet interview with art director / type designer / letterer extraordinaire Ken Barber surfaced on Vimeo. House Industries' lead letterer recently visited Berlin to give the two-day workshop Hand-Lettering in Graphic Design at the Gestalten Space. Gestalten took this chance to interview him on Gestalten.tv where he talks about the necessity of specialization and the fine lines between lettering, typography, and type design.
House Industries: Interview with Ken Barber from Gestalten on Vimeo.
The two-day workshop explored the creative process of hand-lettering and the application of illustrative letterforms in contemporary graphic design. Sharing some of the studio's best-kept secrets, Ken introduced participants to letter-drawing basics, various production techniques utilized to create sophisticated letterforms, and an instructional demonstration on how to digitize and vectorize analog lettering. Participants had the opportunity to take what they learned and apply these hands-on techniques to design their own custom wordmarks.
- ·Barbe à papa Cotton Candy
- ·Ad for Vincebus Eruptum by Blue Cheer
- ·Cher Got Sued For Font!
- ·Troubadour poster, Opera Plovdiv
- ·Quimbaya Coffee Roasters
- ·MC5 – Back in the USA album cover
- ·London Underground's iconic Johnston Sans typeface
- ·XUID Arrays: One Less Thing To Worry About
- ·Moving Hands (Helena Hauff Remix) by The Klinik, official video
- ·Brother Moto Flat-Trackin' Tee