First Impressions From ATypI 2011 Reykjavík
Today is the last day at ATypI 2011 Reykjavík, the yearly conference of the Association Typographique Internationale, the global forum and focal point for the type community and business. Since Wednesday a sizeable chunk of the type design community worldwide congregated in the new Harpa concert hall and conference centre situated by the old harbour in the Reykjavík city centre. It is a little early for reports, but the ATypI11 Flickr Group is filling up slowly but surely, and if you search for the #ATypI you will get a (fragmented) overview of the past few days. A first this year were the daily overview videos posted on the ATypI Reykjavík Vimeo account, which give very nice visual impressions of the conference. Below the videos and a selection of photographs.
Harpa Concert Hall © Kristján U. Kristjánsson (top) and Harpa, May 2011 © Bára Kristinsdóttir (bottom)
H.E. Ólafur Ragnar Grímsson, president of Iceland, addresses ATypI attendees in Reykjavík, Iceland. Photo by Nick Sherman
Conference-goers in Harpa concert hall and conference centre © Timothy Donaldson
Type designers at ATypI 2011 Reykjavík: Keith Tam and Albert-Jan Pool (left), and Eben Sorkin and Alice Savoie (right) © Ralf Herrmann
Frederik Berlaen unveils RoboFont, the new UFO font editor, at ATYpI in Reykjavík, Iceland. Photo by Nick Sherman
Ununicode, a writing performance workshop with Timothy Donaldson © Timothy Donaldson
ATypI Reykjavík – Day 1 from ATypI Reykjavík on Vimeo.
ATypI Reykjavik – Day 2 from Atypi Reykjavik on Vimeo.
ATypI Reykjavik – Day 3 from Atypi Reykjavik on Vimeo.
ATypI Reykjavik – Day 4 from Atypi Reykjavik on Vimeo.
ATypI Reykjavik – Day 5 from Atypi Reykjavik on Vimeo.
Header image:Harpa glass facade by Hörður Sveinsson
Joph Broadcast Graphics
- ·Why Apple Abandoned the World's Most Beloved Typeface?
- ·Amazon Releases Ember Bold Font for the Kindle
- ·Fonts Design of Childhood Memory
- ·Ad for Vincebus Eruptum by Blue Cheer
- ·Sinnesreize / Embracing Sensation by Silvia Gertsch and Xerxes Ach
- ·Statement and Counter-Statement, Automatically Arranged Alphabets, and Arts/Rats/Star
- ·Bevésett nevek (Carved Names), vol. 2
- ·Surabaya Beat by Beat Presser, Afterhours Books
- ·The Great Comic Book Heroes, by Jules Feiffer
- ·Quimbaya Coffee Roasters