Just My Type: A Book About Fonts
The digital age took what was essentially an antiquarian hobby-the study and identification of typefaces and fonts-and turned it into a flourishing present-day avocation.
What font do you select when typing at your keyboard? And which do you prefer for your e-reading? Baskerville? Verdana?
How much do you know of the magical history behind your choices?
Beginning in the early days of Gutenberg and ending with the most adventurous digital fonts, Simon Garfield explores the rich history and subtle powers of type.
He goes on to investigate a range of modern mysteries, including how Helvetica took over the world, what inspires the seeming ubiquitous use of Trajan on bad movie posters, and exactly why the all-type cover of Men are from Mars, Women are from Venus was so effective.
Just My Type also examines why the "T" in the Beatles logo is longer than the other letters and how Gotham helped Barack Obama into the White House.
Joph Broadcast Graphics
- ·"David Bowie is turning us all into voyeurs" button
- ·"Die Alpen – Vielfalt in Europa" stamp
- ·Chinese College Student Invents Smog Font
- ·The Future of Sex poster
- ·Fonts Design of Childhood Memory
- ·47 free tattoo fonts for your body art
- ·"Fantastic!" ad for Captain Fantastic & the Brown Dirt Cowboy by Elton John & Bernie Taupin
- ·Amazon Releases Ember Bold Font for the Kindle
- ·He Invented a Font to Help People With Dyslexia Read
- ·Alibaba Supports Font Infringement Complaints