Short Off Book Documentary on Typography
Today PBS posted its second episode of Off Book on its YouTube channel. Off Book: Type is a short documentary produced by Kornhaber Brown focussing on typography. Off Book is a web-only series from PBS Arts that expands the definition of art. Each episode explores a cutting-edge genre that invites the viewer to engage with the artists and creative process.
Type is everywhere. Every print publication, website, movie, advertisement and public message involves the creation or selection of a fitting typeface. Online, a rich and artistic typographical culture exists, where typefaces are created and graphic design seeps in to every image.
In episode 2 of Off Book, typeface designers Jonathan Hoefler and Tobias Frere-Jones outline the importance of selecting the right font to convey a particular feeling. Citing her iconic work with wood type for The Public Theater , graphic designer Paula Scher talks about building identity in messaging. Eddie Opara uses texture to create reaction, by manipulating Fedra through code for UCLA. Infographic designers Julia Vakser and Deroy Peraza map complicated data sets into digestible imagery, mixing color, graphics and type.
- ·Ad for Vincebus Eruptum by Blue Cheer
- ·"Fantastic!" ad for Captain Fantastic & the Brown Dirt Cowboy by Elton John & Bernie Taupin
- ·Brother Moto Flat-Trackin' Tee
- ·"David Bowie is turning us all into voyeurs" button
- ·London Underground's iconic Johnston Sans typeface
- ·Why Apple Abandoned the World's Most Beloved Typeface?
- ·20 Houses. A New Residential Landscape exhibition, Wallpaper* Architects Directory
- ·The Form Book by Borries Schwesinger
- ·He Invented a Font to Help People With Dyslexia Read
- ·How to Read a Painting by Patrick de Rynck