FontBook, A New Way Of Looking At Type
The FontBook app for iPad offers far more comprehensive type specimens than the printed edition, with several layers of information for each featured typeface. Here's an overview of the different types of specimens.
You can purchase the FontBook app for iPad in the iTunes App Store.
The initial screen is a type poster on a grid background, showing different styles from the typeface family at different sizes. Subsequent levels of information can be accessed by swiping from right to left, like opening drawers. The left column holds basic information about the type design (yellow area), related type families, other typefaces by the same type designer(s), and similar designs.
The second screen is subdivided in three horizontal areas; from top to bottom a "headline" area, a "deck" area, and a "body copy" area.
The type styles displayed in each area can be changed manually by vertical swiping.
Tapping the Play button in the yellow circle activates an animation which automatically alternates type styles in each area.
The third screen displays a list with two-line showings of each style in the type family: a pangram with the full alphabet underneath. Drag the screen upwards to see the remainder of the styles.
The fourth screen shows a block of body copy for each style in the type family. Drag the screen upwards to see the remainder of the styles.
The fifth screen displays the complete character set of the typeface. Drag the screen upwards to discover the rest of the characters.
The sixth and final screen lists all the available information about the typeface – designer, library, release date, number of sub families, font weights, glyphs per font, and trademark.
Joph Broadcast Graphics
- ·How to Read a Painting by Patrick de Rynck
- ·Iconic Transport for London logo undergoes subtle redesign
- ·Statement and Counter-Statement, Automatically Arranged Alphabets, and Arts/Rats/Star
- ·Once Upon DESIGN: New Routes for Arabian Heritage
- ·Linotype Ad: "Linotype vs. Intertype"
- ·Ad for Hello Dummy! by Don Rickles
- ·20 Houses. A New Residential Landscape exhibition, Wallpaper* Architects Directory
- ·Bevésett nevek (Carved Names), vol. 2
- ·Hollywood Star Matt Damon Wrote Better Chinese than Chinese Stars
- ·New York New York, Jazz St. Louis