Studio Profile: The Decoder Ring
This is the first in a series of studio profiles featuring those who were published in Print magazine's Regional Design Annual.The Decoder Ring Design Concern is an Austin, Texas based design partnership founded in 2004 with roots in music and retail identity, design and promotion. They received multiple honors in Print's annual, twice for their poster work. Our favorite is a promotional poster for the indie pop band The Hold Steady uses the luscious Milk Script from Sudtipos.
The other band poster, appropriately supporting The Decemberists' album "The Crane Wife", doubles as a giant origami crane. Arthur Baker's Visigoth font lends just the right kind of Asian calligraphic tone.
The Decoder Ring does more than poster work. Their logo for this year's SXSW conference is instantly recognizable. The bold, stencilesque letters look like a simple, but effective reworking of Braggadocio. The bulky slab, Dynamo, supports the logotype well.
One piece that didn't make it in the Annual is probably the designers' largest project to date (physically, that is). While employed at McGarrah-Jessee Advertising, members of The Decoder Ring were asked to create the logo for Whataburger Field in Corpus Christi, Texas. "During the development process, it became apparent that the smart approach was to first create a sign for the field, and then build the logo around it." The logo is anchored by a sturdy sans serif with a foot in the pre-War past: Cyrus Highsmith's Stainless.
- ·Alphabet Stories by Hermann Zapf
- ·Linotype Ad: "Linotype vs. Intertype"
- ·New York New York, Jazz St. Louis
- ·Chinese College Student Invents Smog Font
- ·He Invented a Font to Help People With Dyslexia Read
- ·XUID Arrays: One Less Thing To Worry About
- ·How House Industries Designs Its Retrotastic Logos and Typefaces
- ·Ad for Vincebus Eruptum by Blue Cheer
- ·Surabaya Beat by Beat Presser, Afterhours Books
- ·"David Bowie is turning us all into voyeurs" button
游客's review on Article 20个出色的艺术字体设计作品欣赏优秀作品展
馬塞客's review on Article 字体疑问？1.可能是版权问题故意的。（体验版） 2、可能是字库制作时疏忽bug。
游客's review on Article 自己动手用FontCreator修改字体简单教程因为这是日本的字体，所以缺字很正常，字型的编排也是按照日本教育部标准做的。
游客's review on Article 设计师常用字体库和排版参考请问有打包好的吗？给我一个谢谢
好的设计师， 之所以会与众不同， 是因为他们背后有太多你不知道的故事。