Design Museum announces Wim Crouwel-A Graphic Odyssey
The Design Museum celebrates the prolific career of the Dutch graphic designer Wim Crouwel in this his first UK retrospective between 30 March – 3 July 2011.
Regarded as one of the leading designers of the twentieth century, Crouwel embraced a new modernity to produce typographic designs that captured the essence of the emerging computer and space age of the early 1960s.
This exhibition, spanning over 60 years, will cover Crouwel's rigorous design approach and key moments in his career including his work for design practice 'Total Design', the identity for the Stedelijk Museum, Amsterdam, as well as his iconic poster, print, typography and lesser known exhibition design.
The exhibition will also highlight Crouwel's rigorous design approach exploring his innovative use of grid-based layouts and typographic systems to produce consistently striking asymmetric visuals.
Original sketches, posters, catalogues and archive photography will be on display alongside films and audio commentary. In addition to celebrating Crouwel's career this exhibition will also explore his legacy and influence on contemporary graphic design with commentary from leading industry figures including Peter Saville and Stefan Sagmeister.
In addition six designers will take inspiration from Crouwel's career to produce a series of limited edition prints, a unique Wim Crouwel inspired wallpaper will also be sold exclusively in the Design Museum Shop.
More details can be found at www.designmuseum.org.
- ·Moving Hands (Helena Hauff Remix) by The Klinik, official video
- ·Sinnesreize / Embracing Sensation by Silvia Gertsch and Xerxes Ach
- ·The Great Comic Book Heroes, by Jules Feiffer
- ·Cocoa Marsh Instant Fudge Candy Mix packaging
- ·"David Bowie is turning us all into voyeurs" button
- ·New York New York, Jazz St. Louis
- ·Ad for Vincebus Eruptum by Blue Cheer
- ·Barbe à papa Cotton Candy
- ·Hollywood Star Matt Damon Wrote Better Chinese than Chinese Stars
- ·47 free tattoo fonts for your body art