Blurb offers a free guide to book design
Blurb, a creative publishing and marketing platform, is hosting a series of free creative online seminars during November and December.
Mat Thorne, billed as pro photographer and design whiz, will share his secrets for great book design on Tuesday 16 November.
Formally Art Director at the Maine Media Workshops, Thorne has created several Blurb books.
In the free webinar, Thorne will walk users through book design essentials and touch upon tips and tricks to help with every aspect of bookmaking, from workflow to fonts to final layout.
According to Blurb, the webinar will cover the following:
An introduction to book design principles.
What to think about before you start your book.
An overview of typography.
Pacing and sequencing your book.
The best of the best: Examples and inspiration from published photography books.
The event runs on Tuesday, 16 November at 1:00 p.m. EST (10 a.m. PST / 6 p.m. GMT).
Thorne is back later in the month offering a second Webinar: 'An Insider's Tips on Book Design and Layout.' The event runs on Tuesday, 30 November at 1:00 p.m. EST (10 a.m. PST / 6 p.m. GMT).
Other Webinars include perfecting colour, creating books for the Christmas holidays and photography tips and tricks.
A full list of online Blurb events along how you can sign up to take part can be found here.
Blurb recently ran a popular pop-up shop just of Oxford Street, London offering advice and tips, seminars and workshops on creating books and magazines. The event attracted a range of top creative talent to talk about their work and offer inspirational guidance.
- ·The Form Book by Borries Schwesinger
- ·Amazon Releases Ember Bold Font for the Kindle
- ·Bevésett nevek (Carved Names), vol. 2
- ·XUID Arrays: One Less Thing To Worry About
- ·Ad for Hello Dummy! by Don Rickles
- ·Statement and Counter-Statement, Automatically Arranged Alphabets, and Arts/Rats/Star
- ·"David Bowie is turning us all into voyeurs" button
- ·Why Apple Abandoned the World's Most Beloved Typeface?
- ·Make market-ready fonts with this 8 point checklist
- ·Cocoa Marsh Instant Fudge Candy Mix packaging