Fountain: A Conversation with Göran Söderström
Not a part of our FontCast series, Fountain has published a video interview with Göran Söderström. It is the first in a series of portraits showcasing type designers who publish typefaces through the friendly Swedish type foundry. In March 2010 Peter Bruhn – a type designer in his own right and owner of Fountain – packed his gear, and flew up to Stockholm to have a conversation with Göran about his typefaces and his thoughts on type design. In the interview Göran discusses his design process, explains why Optima is the perfect typeface, reveals the concepts behind his Meadow and Heroine, gives us a sneak preview of what he is working on now, and even treats us to some delicate finger picking guitar play at the very end. The subtitles look just lovely in Meadow, and the titles are set in Peter and Göran's work in progress Satura. The background music to the video was composed and performed by Peter Bruhn himself.
Fountain – A Conversation With: Göran Söderström from Fountain Type on Vimeo.
Göran Söderström (b. 1974) is a self-taught Swedish type designer and font developer. The typeface that started his obsession with type in 1994 was the initial sketches for his first typeface, Exemplar, but it was not until 2006 he took this obsession seriously and started his own type studio, Autodidakt. Since then he has published several typefaces through different foundries. Today Göran works in typeface development at Pangea design in Stockholm, Sweden.
When not doing typefaces he likes to pick up one of his favourite instruments, the guitar or the bass guitar.
Joph Broadcast Graphics
- ·Why Apple Abandoned the World's Most Beloved Typeface?
- ·Amazon Releases Ember Bold Font for the Kindle
- ·Fonts Design of Childhood Memory
- ·Ad for Vincebus Eruptum by Blue Cheer
- ·Sinnesreize / Embracing Sensation by Silvia Gertsch and Xerxes Ach
- ·Statement and Counter-Statement, Automatically Arranged Alphabets, and Arts/Rats/Star
- ·Bevésett nevek (Carved Names), vol. 2
- ·Surabaya Beat by Beat Presser, Afterhours Books
- ·The Great Comic Book Heroes, by Jules Feiffer
- ·Quimbaya Coffee Roasters