London Tube map cover gets fresh redesign
Artist Liam Gillick has created a new design that graces the front cover of London Underground (LU)'s new pocket Tube map.
Gillick, who was shortlisted for the Turner Prize in 2002, was commissioned by Platform for Art, the art programme for the LU. His design is entitled 'The Day Before' (You Know What They'll Call It? They'll Call it the Tube) is written in 12 different sets of colourful letters to symbolize the 12 lines which make up the Tube network. The design shows the words of the date of the last day in London without London's famous Underground network: Friday 9 January 1863. London Underground commenced services the following day on 10 January 1863 between Paddington and Farringdon.
Gillick was shortlisted in 2002 for the Turner prize in recognition of his solo exhibition 'The Wood Way' at the
Whitechapel Art Gallery and for his outdoor installation 'Annlee You Proposes' at Tate Britain. In 2003, he received a joint
commission from Platform for Art and Frieze Art Fair to create a set of posters that were displayed at Great Portland
Street Tube station. These had strong single colours and text in simple typography.
Previous Pocket Tube map covers have been designed by famous artists such as Yinka Shonibare, Emma Kay and David Shrigley.
The new design which is now available for free from Tube stations, will be the front cover for the pocket Tube map in the
first part of 2007. Each year, London Underground distributes 15 million copies of this map to passengers.
All Tube map covers are available as large format posters from the London Transport Museum shop or by contacting
Platform for Art directly.
Joph Broadcast Graphics
- ·How to Read a Painting by Patrick de Rynck
- ·Cocoa Marsh Instant Fudge Candy Mix packaging
- ·20 Houses. A New Residential Landscape exhibition, Wallpaper* Architects Directory
- ·MC5 – Back in the USA album cover
- ·47 free tattoo fonts for your body art
- ·Linotype Ad: "Linotype vs. Intertype"
- ·Moving Hands (Helena Hauff Remix) by The Klinik, official video
- ·Statement and Counter-Statement, Automatically Arranged Alphabets, and Arts/Rats/Star
- ·The Future of Sex poster
- ·Jim Nutt: Coming Into Character at Museum of Contemporary Art Chicago