D&AD Student Awards 2010 winners announced
This winners of this year's D&AD Student Awards have been announced at a ceremony in Spitalfields Market, in East London. Top gong went to a team from Kingston University, who picked up the Student of the Year awards for a colourwheel-themed catalogue for IKEA.
Jessica Reynolds and Serena Wise upended the traditional 'by-trend' approach to the IKEA catalogue to allow viewers to pick by colour, and uses swatches to try different colour combinations.
"Like the original concept of flat pack brand Ikea, the colourwheel idea was brilliant by simply and boldly challenging the conventions of the day," said D&AD Education chairman, Greg Quinton. "Organising the site by colour and product not only creates an elegant navigation system but makes the product the hero. It helps with cross selling and importantly brings back multi-pack of fun to the brand."
Across the board, 13 First Prizes, 28 Second Prizes and 44 Commendations were awarded to students from Europe, Asia and North America. Here's our pick of the winners.
First: Chris Howker from Stockport College
Second: Chris Arrowsmith from University of Central Lancashire
First: Tim Keay from the University of Northampton
Second: Michael Tierney from Hull School of Art & Design
Joph Broadcast Graphics
- ·Amazon Releases Ember Bold Font for the Kindle
- ·Make market-ready fonts with this 8 point checklist
- ·Statement and Counter-Statement, Automatically Arranged Alphabets, and Arts/Rats/Star
- ·Barbe à papa Cotton Candy
- ·"Fantastic!" ad for Captain Fantastic & the Brown Dirt Cowboy by Elton John & Bernie Taupin
- ·London Underground's iconic Johnston Sans typeface
- ·How House Industries Designs Its Retrotastic Logos and Typefaces
- ·"Jesus Music" ad for Myrrh Records
- ·Once Upon DESIGN: New Routes for Arabian Heritage
- ·47 free tattoo fonts for your body art