London Underground's iconic Johnston Sans typeface
There are many icons of London – Buckingham Palace, the Houses of Parliament, the London Eye – but equal to these is the Johnston typeface. The font permeats the city's transport networks – and is also a core part of the branding of the Mayor of London, so is used on projects that sell the city to the rest of the world. It synonymous with London to those who live here and those who've never visited.
While it's been tweaked many times and digitised since it was originally drawn by Edward Johnson for use on the Underground, its design has remained true to the clear, clean lettershapes of its initial forms.
The typeface was commissioned to be distinctly different from the lettering used in advertisments of the era – to help passengers navigate around the network more easily. It still serves that purpose, though the scope of its use has grown to include buses, trams, boats, the Dangleway, cyclepaths and general wayfinding during the 2012 Olympics.
Johnston's font was originally just called Underground. It was later renamed as Johnston's Railway Type, and then Johnston. It was redesigned in 1979 by Eiichi Kono to add more weights – so it could be used for a greater number of purposes, for example in smaller point sizes.
In the early 1990s, it was digitised – then redigitised by Monotype in 2002, when italics were added. In 2008, further minor changes were made to bring it back to be more in line with Johnston's original designs. Johnston's version of the typeface included two weights, Heavy and Ordinary. The former is an all-caps font.
- ·Troubadour poster, Opera Plovdiv
- ·"Jesus Music" ad for Myrrh Records
- ·Jim Nutt: Coming Into Character at Museum of Contemporary Art Chicago
- ·How House Industries Designs Its Retrotastic Logos and Typefaces
- ·Statement and Counter-Statement, Automatically Arranged Alphabets, and Arts/Rats/Star
- ·Surabaya Beat by Beat Presser, Afterhours Books
- ·How to Read a Painting by Patrick de Rynck
- ·20 Houses. A New Residential Landscape exhibition, Wallpaper* Architects Directory
- ·Japanese Typography Writing System
- ·The Form Book by Borries Schwesinger
游客's review on Article 超强视觉冲击-3D字体设计作品超强视觉冲击
游客's review on Article 20个出色的艺术字体设计作品欣赏优秀作品展
游客's review on Article 全球第一家手书数字化平台-在线书写毛笔字生成TTF字体给你全世界智慧
馬塞客's review on Article 字体疑问？1.可能是版权问题故意的。（体验版） 2、可能是字库制作时疏忽bug。
游客's review on Article 自己动手用FontCreator修改字体简单教程因为这是日本的字体，所以缺字很正常，字型的编排也是按照日本教育部标准做的。
游客's review on Article 设计师常用字体库和排版参考请问有打包好的吗？给我一个谢谢