The House of Caslon: Come and Join The Lunatics*
Following the success of Baskerville: The Animated Movie, Type is once again collaborating with the Birmingham Institute of Art & Design at Birmingham City University on the production of a new project: The House of Caslon. This is a short animation about the life, work and influences of another of the region's typographic alumni: William Calson I, who was born in Cradley in 1692.
Production on the animation has now commenced and type is looking for typographers, lettering artists, calligraphers, cartoonists, illustrators, musicians and any other creatives who would like to participate in a day of filming. Artists will be recorded whilst creating work of their choosing which has been produced in celebration of Caslon the man or the typeface.
* Caslon started monthly concerts from his home, which, for the convenience of this friends that they might walk home safely when the performance was over, were on that Thursday in the month which was nearest the full moon; from which circumstance his guests were wont humorously to call themselves lunatics.
Men at work in the Caslon foundry
Filming is scheduled for Wednesday 21 April 2010, and will take place
Birmingham Institute of Art & Design
Birmingham B4 7DX.
The day will commence at 10:00 am.
If you are unable to make the event, don't worry. You can still take part in the project by sending us your contributions either by post or email. If you would like to join in the fun and see your work on the silver screen, or if you would like more information on how to take part then please contact either Caroline Archer or David Osbaldestin.
Type's previous animated project: Baskerville, The Animated Movie
You can be kept right up-to-date with Type news by following
@typetweets on Twitter.
- ·The Form Book by Borries Schwesinger
- ·Amazon Releases Ember Bold Font for the Kindle
- ·Bevésett nevek (Carved Names), vol. 2
- ·XUID Arrays: One Less Thing To Worry About
- ·Ad for Hello Dummy! by Don Rickles
- ·Statement and Counter-Statement, Automatically Arranged Alphabets, and Arts/Rats/Star
- ·"David Bowie is turning us all into voyeurs" button
- ·Why Apple Abandoned the World's Most Beloved Typeface?
- ·Make market-ready fonts with this 8 point checklist
- ·Cocoa Marsh Instant Fudge Candy Mix packaging