One of My Favs
I have spent most of my life and all of my career with type and typography. As a result, I'm often asked about my favorite typeface. Almost always, I dodge the question. Truth be known, I don't have a favorite. There are a few typefaces, however, I have a great fondness for. One of those is the ITC American Typewriter™ family.
ITC American Typewriter is a happy melding of its office forerunner, traits that make it a friendly, broad-shouldered typeface at large sizes, and time-proven characteristics that ensure high levels of legibility in text copy. The design does away with the typewriter's rigid spacing (which assigns the same amount of space to a lowercase "i" as it does to a capital "W"). And while the letterforms of ITC American Typewriter are clearly influenced by a typewriter font, they are far more legible and ultimately more readable than any standard typewriter output. What's not to like?
Allan Haley is Director of Words & Letters at Monotype Imaging. Here he is responsible for strategic planning and creative implementation of just about everything related to typeface designs.
- ·Barbe à papa Cotton Candy
- ·Ad for Vincebus Eruptum by Blue Cheer
- ·Cher Got Sued For Font!
- ·Troubadour poster, Opera Plovdiv
- ·Quimbaya Coffee Roasters
- ·MC5 – Back in the USA album cover
- ·London Underground's iconic Johnston Sans typeface
- ·XUID Arrays: One Less Thing To Worry About
- ·Moving Hands (Helena Hauff Remix) by The Klinik, official video
- ·Brother Moto Flat-Trackin' Tee