FontCast #7 — Dyana Weissman on Kerning
As designers, kerning is one of those esoteric terms we love to use. Not only is it vital to quality typography, it's also a great word to throw into a conversation with non-designers whenever we want to sound smart or abstruse. But how much do we really understand about kerning and how it's applied? At ATypI in Mexico City I broached these topics with Dyana Weissman of The Font Bureau, one of the few type designers who claims to actually enjoy the tedious task of assigning thousands of kern pairs to each font. She explains the difference between kerning and spacing, why it should be done by hand, and the mystical concept of flow.
Click here to watch the FontCast or simply push play below.
Read more about Dyana's process and listen to her soundtrack at Font Bureau's Type 101 blog.
FontCast is FontShop's video podcast featuring the most interesting figures in typography and design. Subscribe in iTunes or watch individual episodes on Vimeo and YouTube.
- ·Bevésett nevek (Carved Names), vol. 2
- ·Why Apple Abandoned the World's Most Beloved Typeface?
- ·Sinnesreize / Embracing Sensation by Silvia Gertsch and Xerxes Ach
- ·XUID Arrays: One Less Thing To Worry About
- ·Top 100 Fonts.com Web Fonts for May 2016
- ·47 free tattoo fonts for your body art
- ·Königsblut identity
- ·Surabaya Beat by Beat Presser, Afterhours Books
- ·MC5 – Back in the USA album cover
- ·The Form Book by Borries Schwesinger
游客's review on Article Billboard.com这个Billboard.com网站的字体是啥字体
lwhzyn's review on Article HZ-GB-2312系统好像缺少字库，看看能不能下载
游客's review on Article 2017年设计师绝对不能错过的手写字体搭配的挺好看，这些字体是免费商用的么
¤月映丹心∴'s review on Article 毛笔字体进化论怎么下载法？
糖果's review on Article 25个能让设计师用一辈子的字体免费用吗
游客's review on Article 三星发布自主字体SamsungOne：全平台通用哪里可以下载三星字体