FontCast #7 — Dyana Weissman on Kerning
As designers, kerning is one of those esoteric terms we love to use. Not only is it vital to quality typography, it's also a great word to throw into a conversation with non-designers whenever we want to sound smart or abstruse. But how much do we really understand about kerning and how it's applied? At ATypI in Mexico City I broached these topics with Dyana Weissman of The Font Bureau, one of the few type designers who claims to actually enjoy the tedious task of assigning thousands of kern pairs to each font. She explains the difference between kerning and spacing, why it should be done by hand, and the mystical concept of flow.
Click here to watch the FontCast or simply push play below.
Read more about Dyana's process and listen to her soundtrack at Font Bureau's Type 101 blog.
FontCast is FontShop's video podcast featuring the most interesting figures in typography and design. Subscribe in iTunes or watch individual episodes on Vimeo and YouTube.
- ·How House Industries Designs Its Retrotastic Logos and Typefaces
- ·The Great Comic Book Heroes, by Jules Feiffer
- ·Surabaya Beat by Beat Presser, Afterhours Books
- ·Cher Got Sued For Font!
- ·Top 100 Fonts.com Web Fonts for May 2016
- ·MC5 – Back in the USA album cover
- ·Sinnesreize / Embracing Sensation by Silvia Gertsch and Xerxes Ach
- ·Fonts Design of Childhood Memory
- ·Alibaba Supports Font Infringement Complaints
- ·Bevésett nevek (Carved Names), vol. 2
游客's review on Article 免费商用中文字体有哪些？注意下，新蒂字体已不能商用。
游客's review on Article 超强视觉冲击-3D字体设计作品超强视觉冲击
游客's review on Article 20个出色的艺术字体设计作品欣赏优秀作品展
游客's review on Article 全球第一家手书数字化平台-在线书写毛笔字生成TTF字体给你全世界智慧
馬塞客's review on Article 字体疑问？1.可能是版权问题故意的。（体验版） 2、可能是字库制作时疏忽bug。
游客's review on Article 自己动手用FontCreator修改字体简单教程因为这是日本的字体，所以缺字很正常，字型的编排也是按照日本教育部标准做的。