FontCast #7 — Dyana Weissman on Kerning
As designers, kerning is one of those esoteric terms we love to use. Not only is it vital to quality typography, it's also a great word to throw into a conversation with non-designers whenever we want to sound smart or abstruse. But how much do we really understand about kerning and how it's applied? At ATypI in Mexico City I broached these topics with Dyana Weissman of The Font Bureau, one of the few type designers who claims to actually enjoy the tedious task of assigning thousands of kern pairs to each font. She explains the difference between kerning and spacing, why it should be done by hand, and the mystical concept of flow.
Click here to watch the FontCast or simply push play below.
Read more about Dyana's process and listen to her soundtrack at Font Bureau's Type 101 blog.
FontCast is FontShop's video podcast featuring the most interesting figures in typography and design. Subscribe in iTunes or watch individual episodes on Vimeo and YouTube.
- ·Ad for Vincebus Eruptum by Blue Cheer
- ·"Fantastic!" ad for Captain Fantastic & the Brown Dirt Cowboy by Elton John & Bernie Taupin
- ·Brother Moto Flat-Trackin' Tee
- ·"David Bowie is turning us all into voyeurs" button
- ·London Underground's iconic Johnston Sans typeface
- ·Why Apple Abandoned the World's Most Beloved Typeface?
- ·20 Houses. A New Residential Landscape exhibition, Wallpaper* Architects Directory
- ·The Form Book by Borries Schwesinger
- ·He Invented a Font to Help People With Dyslexia Read
- ·How to Read a Painting by Patrick de Rynck