In Use: FF DIN for The Onion
If FontShop's bathroom wall is any testament to our reading habits, The Onion is our news source of choice. The online edition of The Onion uses FF DIN for its navigation menu. It's tough to inject some style into so few pixels while maintaining legibility, and FF DIN's straight-sided construction performs well. It's a shame they aren't using it for the little green teaser heads as well.
The very bright Khoi Vinh and his firm Behavior are responsible for The Onion redesign. Read more about the transformation at Vinh's blog, Subtraction.
Behavior also overhauled The Onion's entertainment companion publication The A.V. Club, using Luc(as) de Groot's TheSans for navigation.
More recently, Vinh's work has caught the attention of another news giant, The New York Times. Vinh was just hired as the Design Director forNYTimes.com. We can't wait to see how he breathes new life into the Gray Lady.
Header image:FF DIN in use at TheOnion.com and TheSans at AVClub.com.
- ·The Form Book by Borries Schwesinger
- ·Type terms: the animated typographic cheat sheet
- ·Königsblut identity
- ·Chinese College Student Invents Smog Font
- ·The Future of Sex poster
- ·How House Industries Designs Its Retrotastic Logos and Typefaces
- ·Once Upon DESIGN: New Routes for Arabian Heritage
- ·Benetton identity redesign
- ·Surabaya Beat by Beat Presser, Afterhours Books
- ·47 free tattoo fonts for your body art