In Use: FF DIN for The Onion
If FontShop's bathroom wall is any testament to our reading habits, The Onion is our news source of choice. The online edition of The Onion uses FF DIN for its navigation menu. It's tough to inject some style into so few pixels while maintaining legibility, and FF DIN's straight-sided construction performs well. It's a shame they aren't using it for the little green teaser heads as well.
The very bright Khoi Vinh and his firm Behavior are responsible for The Onion redesign. Read more about the transformation at Vinh's blog, Subtraction.
Behavior also overhauled The Onion's entertainment companion publication The A.V. Club, using Luc(as) de Groot's TheSans for navigation.
More recently, Vinh's work has caught the attention of another news giant, The New York Times. Vinh was just hired as the Design Director forNYTimes.com. We can't wait to see how he breathes new life into the Gray Lady.
Header image:FF DIN in use at TheOnion.com and TheSans at AVClub.com.
Joph Broadcast Graphics
- ·MC5 – Back in the USA album cover
- ·Ad for Hello Dummy! by Don Rickles
- ·47 free tattoo fonts for your body art
- ·Jim Nutt: Coming Into Character at Museum of Contemporary Art Chicago
- ·Top 100 Fonts.com Web Fonts for May 2016
- ·Quimbaya Coffee Roasters
- ·Barbe à papa Cotton Candy
- ·10 Top Romantic Fonts on Valentine's Day!
- ·Statement and Counter-Statement, Automatically Arranged Alphabets, and Arts/Rats/Star
- ·"Fantastic!" ad for Captain Fantastic & the Brown Dirt Cowboy by Elton John & Bernie Taupin