Who Shot the Serif?
Lately it seems that every new typeface release is either a sans serif or a script. What ever happened to the serif? When people ask, "Aren't there enough typefaces; do we really need 200,000 fonts?" my answer used to be, "Just as there is always room for new music, there will always be room for new typeface designs." Now, I'm not so sure.
How many OpenType script fonts with hundreds of alternate characters can we possibly use? Do we really need yet another humanistic, calligraphic, geometric or quasi industrial-strength sans serif typeface?
What happened to the stalwart, straightforward – or even quirky and delightfully fancy – serif typeface? Can new serif typefaces find a home in today's world of serifless fonts? Are graphic designers doomed to a world without serifs?
Allan Haley is Director of Words & Letters at Monotype Imaging. Here he is responsible for strategic planning and creative implementation of just about everything related to typeface designs.
- ·10 Top Romantic Fonts on Valentine's Day!
- ·"David Bowie is turning us all into voyeurs" button
- ·"Die Alpen – Vielfalt in Europa" stamp
- ·New York New York, Jazz St. Louis
- ·The Form Book by Borries Schwesinger
- ·Königsblut identity
- ·Quimbaya Coffee Roasters
- ·The Great Comic Book Heroes, by Jules Feiffer
- ·Japanese Typography Writing System
- ·Moving Hands (Helena Hauff Remix) by The Klinik, official video
游客's review on Article Billboard.com这个Billboard.com网站的字体是啥字体
lwhzyn's review on Article HZ-GB-2312系统好像缺少字库，看看能不能下载
游客's review on Article 2017年设计师绝对不能错过的手写字体搭配的挺好看，这些字体是免费商用的么
¤月映丹心∴'s review on Article 毛笔字体进化论怎么下载法？
糖果's review on Article 25个能让设计师用一辈子的字体免费用吗
游客's review on Article 三星发布自主字体SamsungOne：全平台通用哪里可以下载三星字体