I AMsterdam in Avenir
Photo by Mieke Tacken. See more photos of I amsterdam on Flickr.
As much as I'd like to claim we're the only group to think of it, there is more than one "I Am" campaign. Adidas and Reebok have both used the phrase in recent marketing. (That's everyone's favorite blackletter, Fette Fraktur, in the Reebok ads.)
But my favorite "I am" (other than our own of course) is the city of Amsterdam's decidedly typographic public art installation, "I amsterdam", set in 10 pt.ft. Avenir. The piece coincides with a new motto and website for the Netherlands capital's tourism campaign and it works beautifully. The only quibble might be that a country with such a rich type culture ought to use a Dutch face rather than something born in Switzerland. Yet Frutiger's sans works so well it's hard to complain.
Joph Broadcast Graphics
- ·Ad for Hello Dummy! by Don Rickles
- ·Amazon Releases Ember Bold Font for the Kindle
- ·How to sell your typefaces
- ·Statement and Counter-Statement, Automatically Arranged Alphabets, and Arts/Rats/Star
- ·Sinnesreize / Embracing Sensation by Silvia Gertsch and Xerxes Ach
- ·How House Industries Designs Its Retrotastic Logos and Typefaces
- ·Once Upon DESIGN: New Routes for Arabian Heritage
- ·Cocoa Marsh Instant Fudge Candy Mix packaging
- ·Troubadour poster, Opera Plovdiv
- ·"Die Alpen – Vielfalt in Europa" stamp