I AMsterdam in Avenir
Photo by Mieke Tacken. See more photos of I amsterdam on Flickr.
As much as I'd like to claim we're the only group to think of it, there is more than one "I Am" campaign. Adidas and Reebok have both used the phrase in recent marketing. (That's everyone's favorite blackletter, Fette Fraktur, in the Reebok ads.)
But my favorite "I am" (other than our own of course) is the city of Amsterdam's decidedly typographic public art installation, "I amsterdam", set in 10 pt.ft. Avenir. The piece coincides with a new motto and website for the Netherlands capital's tourism campaign and it works beautifully. The only quibble might be that a country with such a rich type culture ought to use a Dutch face rather than something born in Switzerland. Yet Frutiger's sans works so well it's hard to complain.
- ·"Fantastic!" ad for Captain Fantastic & the Brown Dirt Cowboy by Elton John & Bernie Taupin
- ·20 Houses. A New Residential Landscape exhibition, Wallpaper* Architects Directory
- ·Moving Hands (Helena Hauff Remix) by The Klinik, official video
- ·"David Bowie is turning us all into voyeurs" button
- ·The Great Comic Book Heroes, by Jules Feiffer
- ·47 free tattoo fonts for your body art
- ·He Invented a Font to Help People With Dyslexia Read
- ·"Die Alpen – Vielfalt in Europa" stamp
- ·How to Read a Painting by Patrick de Rynck
- ·10 Top Romantic Fonts on Valentine's Day!