Animated (Typo)graphics With Post-It Notes
Stop motion is hot these days. I barely posted the terrific Text Island stop motion short with pegboard letters, and here's already another superb-looking video.
Deadline is the senior project of Bang-yao Liu, student at Savannah College of Art and Design*. More than 6,000 Post-It notes in all kinds of different colours were used to produce a life-size pixel animation on the wall.
* Little bit of type trivia – the Savannah College of Art and Design logo is designed with recently on The FontFeed.
Bang-yao Liu's movie can be seen as an allegory on procrastination. As he explains in the information for his video on YouTube, the concept originated from the impression he gets that every time he is under pressure, he feels he is not struggling with his work, but with Post-It notes and deadlines. So he manipulated those Post-It notes to create a pixel-like stop motion animation, one that also interacts with a real actor. The movie is very impressive, full of humour, and the stop motion is flawless. Really neat are the references to operating system iconography and classic video games like Breakout and Pole Position.
The great thing is that Bang-yao Liu also posted a making of which explains how the video was shot. Although the final video does not use any computer generated imagery at all, the whole project was prepared on computer. We see early motion tests, and learn that the graphics and patterns were originally created in Adobe Illustrator. The finished graphics were then imported in Flash where the pre-animation was done. To ensure the interaction with the live actor would work it was simulated with animatics.
Planning the movie and creating all the graphics eventually took three months; shooting was done in four days. The animatics were projected on the wall to allow pasting the Post-Its in the exact positions. After checking the composite image on screen, the projector was covered and the image shot. Then the whole process of pasting, checking and shooting was repeated until the whole video was finished. The soundtrack for the video is Eple, the first hit by Röyksopp, with sound design by Shaun Burdick.
More stop motion animation with Post-Its on The FontFeed:
PsychoTypoGraph: Cocoe Are Mad for TypographyTrailer And Invitation Clips For 33pt. Conference
- ·Troubadour poster, Opera Plovdiv
- ·"Die Alpen – Vielfalt in Europa" stamp
- ·20 Houses. A New Residential Landscape exhibition, Wallpaper* Architects Directory
- ·How House Industries Designs Its Retrotastic Logos and Typefaces
- ·Food Not Bombs hypothetical redesign
- ·Make market-ready fonts with this 8 point checklist
- ·Type terms: the animated typographic cheat sheet
- ·London Underground's iconic Johnston Sans typeface
- ·Jim Nutt: Coming Into Character at Museum of Contemporary Art Chicago
- ·Once Upon DESIGN: New Routes for Arabian Heritage
游客's review on Article 免费商用中文字体有哪些？注意下，新蒂字体已不能商用。
游客's review on Article 超强视觉冲击-3D字体设计作品超强视觉冲击
游客's review on Article 20个出色的艺术字体设计作品欣赏优秀作品展
游客's review on Article 全球第一家手书数字化平台-在线书写毛笔字生成TTF字体给你全世界智慧
馬塞客's review on Article 字体疑问？1.可能是版权问题故意的。（体验版） 2、可能是字库制作时疏忽bug。
游客's review on Article 自己动手用FontCreator修改字体简单教程因为这是日本的字体，所以缺字很正常，字型的编排也是按照日本教育部标准做的。