Typographica's "Favorite Typefaces of 2008"
It has been covered on a multitude of blogs, both type-related like our team – the wait is over!
I hinted at it in last month's Bald Condensed review.
It's March, spring is in the air, and this means Oscars time, also in the wonderful world of type design. Blogs and websites have submerged us with Best of and Top Ten lists, but we all know we're waiting with baited breath for Typographica's "Our Favourite Fonts of 2008" to be published for the fifth consecutive year already. This unofficial award list has carved out a prestigious reputation in the type world. […] Stephen just gave me the scoop – you gotta love instant messaging – there are nearly twice as many participants as in previous years. It will be launched with a Typographica redesign, which sees the website move away from a blog format and toward a gallery/showcase style site to give more focus to reviews/essays, less to news.
Yes indeed – the redesigned Typographica launched Wednesday with its annual Our Favorite Typefaces of 2008 overview. It is not a wise move to go over there if you have a lot of work to be done or pressing deadlines, because there are forty (40!) reviews plus a long list of honourable mentions. Enjoy!
And if you want to know more about the man behind arguably the most important annual overview of new type out there, you can have a listen at the interview with Stephen Coles on Read Between The Leading.
Joph Broadcast Graphics
- ·New York New York, Jazz St. Louis
- ·Sinnesreize / Embracing Sensation by Silvia Gertsch and Xerxes Ach
- ·Type terms: the animated typographic cheat sheet
- ·47 free tattoo fonts for your body art
- ·Barbe à papa Cotton Candy
- ·Ad for Hello Dummy! by Don Rickles
- ·Linotype Ad: "Linotype vs. Intertype"
- ·The Great Comic Book Heroes, by Jules Feiffer
- ·"Fantastic!" ad for Captain Fantastic & the Brown Dirt Cowboy by Elton John & Bernie Taupin
- ·MC5 – Back in the USA album cover